Your First Visit
Patients often feel anxious or worried as they prepare for their first visit. Rest assured that the University of Chicago Medicine Comprehensive Cancer Center at Silver Cross Hospital team will guide you through the process and let you know what to expect every step of the way. You’ll find a relaxed atmosphere in our facility. We pride ourselves on making you feel at home.
During your first visit, you’ll have the opportunity to:
- Meet our team, including physicians and support staff.
- Have an examination with one of our physicians, who will review any tests or treatments you’ve already had. You also may have your blood drawn.
- Sit down with your physician and family members in our conference room to talk about next steps and treatment options.
- Receive a tour of our chemotherapy unit, if you’ll be receiving chemotherapy. We have a group chemotherapy room where patients often bond with each other while receiving treatment, as well as private chemotherapy chairs for patients who prefer privacy.
- Receive a tour of the radiation therapy area, if you will have radiation therapy.
Here are a few tips to prepare for your visit:
- We encourage you to bring family members or a friend. Since we review a good deal of information, it’s helpful to have someone with you to listen, join in the discussion and take notes.
- If you’re coming on your own, you may want to bring a voice recorder so you can review the information later.
- Over the course of your appointments, we encourage you to stick to your normal routines. Many patients find it helpful to keep their activity levels and diet as normal as possible.
If you have any questions prior to your visit, please do not hesitate to contact us.