The University of Chicago Medicine supports professional education. We believe that in order to be successful, our employees must continue to learn and grow. We provide various opportunities, including tuition reimbursement and scholarships, for employed nurses to enhance their knowledge and to learn new skills. Continuing education programs lead to quality care and services for our patients and their families.
At the University of Chicago, we are committed to the ongoing professional development of our nursing staff. Nurses employed by the University of Chicago Medicine who have completed their probationary employment period are eligible for the following tuition reimbursements:
- Full-time RNs are eligible for tuition reimbursement. Those who choose to pursue a bachelor's degree or a master's degree in nursing receive 100 percent tuition reimbursement if they maintain a grade of C or higher. Full-time RNs pursuing a doctorate in nursing receive 75 percent tuition reimbursement with a grade of C or higher.
- Part-time RNs receive 50 percent tuition reimbursement for bachelor's, master's, and doctorate programs if they have a course grade of C or higher.
- Full-time LPNs who wish to purse an associate or bachelor's degree in nursing will receive 100 percent reimbursement of tuition, books and fees for courses with a grade of C or higher.
- Part-time LPNs pursuing a registered nurse degree will receive 50 percent reimbursement of tuition, books and fees for courses with a grade of C or higher.
The University of Chicago Medicine values ongoing professional development through participation in various continuing education offerings.
- RNs who have completed between six months to one year of continuous service at the University of Chicago are eligible for one paid Continuing Education Day and $250 reimbursement for continuing education registration fees.
- RNs who have completed one year to five years of service are eligible for two paid Continuing Education Days annually and $250 per year for reimbursement of continuing education registration fee.
- RNs who have completed more than five years of continuous service are eligible for three paid Continuing Education Days annually plus $350 per year for reimbursement of continuing education registration fees.
The University of Chicago Medical Center Academy is a corporate university serving the education and training needs of staff employed by the University of Chicago Medicine. The Academy sponsors many programs that attract nursing participants. Some programs foster on-going professional development through "on the job training" while others lead to the achievement of an academic degree.
Degree Completion Programs
The UCMC Academy partners with several educational organizations to give nurses different opportunities to earn degrees in nursing. For a complete list of Certificate and Degree Completion Programs, please contact the UCMC Academy.
The UCMC Academy also offers scholarship opportunities for nurses at the University of Chicago. The UCMC Nursing at the Forefront Scholarship Program provides opportunities for groups of nurses to participate in degree completion programs on the medical campus of the University of Chicago.