Candle-lighting ceremony honors nurses at the University of Chicago Hospitals who served in the military
May 5, 2005
As part of a week-long celebration of nursing, three nurses from the armed forces will talk about their experience in war-torn countries. The keynote speaker, Lieutenant Colonel Sandra Webb-Booker, PhD, who has served in Honduras, Central America, South Korea, Panama, and Bosnia, will talk about "The History of Nurses in the Military." Two other Army nurses who recently returned from serving in Iraq--Major Shirley Spencer and Captain John Provenzano--will also share their stories.
This event, designed to honor University of Chicago nurses who have served in the United States armed forces, will serve as a focal point of the Hospitals' celebration of Nurses Week, May 5-12, 2005. It will culminate in a candle-lighting ceremony in Rockefeller Chapel.
5-6:30 p.m. on Monday, May 9.
Rockefeller Memorial Chapel, 5850 S. Woodlawn Ave.
Nurses have played a crucial role in protecting the health of soldiers and civilians in embattled countries such as Afghanistan and Iraq and in helping those who have been injured survive and recover. This ceremony will honor those who have practiced this noble profession in a very difficult situation and celebrate the difference they have made in the lives of those they helped.
Other Nurses Week Events at the Hospitals
- May 5: Blessing of Hands
- May 6: Panel discussion - "The Many Faces of the Advanced Practice Nurses"
- May 9: "Mock Trial for Evidence Based Practice"
- May 10: Lectures - "Lessons Learned from the Comer Healing Arts Program" and "Nurse-Patient Relationship and Suffering"
- May 11: The Morgan Award for Excellence in Oncology Nursing, and Author's Row, a display and reception featuring University of Chicago nurses and their published works.
- May 12: Nursing Awards Ceremony and Reception, 4:30 p.m., 4th floor atrium of the Duchossois Center for Advanced Medicine, 5758 S Maryland Ave., and "Health and Fitness for Nurses" Lecture
- May 13: The Second Annual Transplant Nursing Conference
The University of Chicago Medicine
950 E. 61st Street, Third Floor
Chicago, IL 60637
Phone (773) 702-0025 Fax (773) 702-3171