Risks of Physical Inactivity
What health risks are associated with physical inactivity?
Lack of physical activity has clearly been shown to be a risk factor for cardiovascular disease.
- Less active, less fit persons have a greater risk of developing high blood pressure.
- Studies indicate that physically active people are less likely to develop coronary heart disease than those who are inactive - even after the researchers accounted for smoking, alcohol use, and diet.
- Physically active overweight or obese people significantly reduced their risk for disease with physical activity.
Facts about sedentary lifestyles:
Thousands and thousands of deaths result each year due to a lack of regular physical activity. In addition:
- Inactivity increases with age.
- Women are more likely to lead sedentary lifestyles than men.
- Non-Hispanic white adults are more likely to engage in physical activity than Hispanic and non-Hispanic black adults.