Purpose of Having Surgery
What is the purpose of surgery?
Surgery, whether elective or required, is done for a multitude of reasons. A patient may have surgery to:
- Further explore the condition for the purpose of diagnosis.
- Take a biopsy of a suspicious lump.
- Remove diseased tissues or organs.
- Remove an obstruction.
- Reposition structures to their normal position.
- Redirect channels.
- Transplant tissue or whole organs.
- Implant mechanical or electronic devices.
- Improve physical appearance.