Cancer Resource Center
For many patients, one of the most difficult aspects of dealing with cancer is feeling a loss of control. The University of Chicago Medicine is committed to helping patients and their families regain a sense of control by learning more about their condition.
In partnership with the American Cancer Society, we have created an all-inclusive resource center--seamlessly blending health information and social services.
The Cancer Resource Center's primary goal is to deliver professional, compassionate assistance to cancer patients, their families, and their caregivers from the moment of diagnosis forward--filling the gaps that may occur before and after the patient's hospital stay. We also welcome all members of the community who are interested in cancer detection, treatment, and prevention.
Caring Resource Team
Our friendly staff includes a specially trained social worker and an administrator who will provide individualized support based on your needs. Cancer Resource Center personnel can help patients and families:
- Access comprehensive cancer information--including facts about specific types of cancer, treatment options, pain management, nutrition, and other aspects of cancer care
- Obtain information about leading cancer research trials and learn how to apply
- Receive one-on-one counseling
- Obtain transportation, lodging, and financial support
- Find community resources such as wig banks, advocacy and support services, and community organizations
- Access support groups for both patients and family members
How Our Center Can Help
Some of the resources available at our center include:
- A computer to access online information
- A closed conference area where patients and families can consult in private with our social worker
- An extensive library of books, videos, and DVDs
- A wide variety of magazines, newsletters, and booklets
- Direct access to the American Cancer Society as well as the National Cancer Institute's Information Service
- Information on where to buy wigs and turbans
- A calendar of events for cancer patients
The Cancer Resource Center is located on the first floor of the Duchossois Center for Advanced Medicine at 5758 S. Maryland Avenue. We are open Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Walk-ins are welcome.