How can I request an appointment with a cardiologist, heart surgeon or vascular surgeon?
Do you need a cardiologist, or are you looking for a heart or vascular surgeon?
- To make an appointment with a cardiologist, please call 1-888-824-0200. Visit the second opinions page for information about how to request a second opinion from a University of Chicago cardiologist.
- If you have been told you may need heart surgery, please call (773) 702-2500 to request an appointment with a cardiac surgeon. Visit the second opinions page for information on how to request a second opinion from a University of Chicago cardiac surgeon.
To speed up the appointment process, please gather the following information before you call:
- Your contact information including home address, e-mail address, and phone numbers (home, cell, work)
- Current diagnosis and information about any treatment you've already received.
- Your referring physician’s information including name, address, and phone number
- Your primary care physician’s information (if it’s different from your referring physician’s information) including name, address, and phone number
- The last name of any specialist you’ve seen (if that specialist is different from either your primary care physician or referring physician)
- Your health insurance information including name on the policy, employer of policy holder, policy number, birthdate of policy holder, insurance subscriber ID and your insurance company’s customer service/provider inquiry phone number
- Your Social Security number and date of birth
It is usually best to call for an appointment, because we often need to ask specific questions about the patient’s illness in order to identify the most appropriate specialist(s) for care. However, we also offer an online appointment request form for patients. To begin your request, please fill out the form and we will contact you within 24 hours to gather additional information. If you submit your request on a holiday or between Friday afternoon and Sunday, we will respond by the end of the next business day. In many cases, we will ask you to call us in order to complete the process.
For International Patients
We offer special services to assist patients traveling from other countries. For more information, contact the Center for International Patients.
For Referring Physicians
Physicians, learn how to request patient referrals and consultations.