From advanced diagnostic technology to minimally invasive treatments and robotic surgery, the University of Chicago Medicine can provide the full scope of care for any type of heart or vascular disorder in adults and children. Known for our expertise in complex conditions, we treat patients often turned away by other institutions. We are committed to educating patients about treatment options so they can make the most informed heart and vascular care decisions.
HEART AND VASCULAR SERVICES
Nationally Recognized Heart and Vascular CareThe University of Chicago Medicine is a leader in innovative, comprehensive patient care. Our cardiac and vascular experts have pioneered treatments and continue to make advancements in patient care. We are one of the nation's most comprehensive programs using robotic surgery for cardiovascular operations and a nationally acclaimed program in bloodless cardiac surgery and cardiovascular imaging.
More Diagnostic and Treatment Options
University of Chicago cardiologists, cardiac surgeons and vascular surgeons provide access to resources not commonly available, including:
- Advanced diagnostics, including three-dimensional echocardiography, nuclear imaging, and 256-slice CT imaging
- State-of-the-art electrophysiology and interventional cardiology labs
- An expert, multidisciplinary transplant team experienced in heart, heart-lung and multi-organ transplant. In fact, we were the first in the world to perform a successful heart-kidney-liver transplant.
- Vascular and endovascular treatment options for complex vascular and aortic conditions
- Medical and surgical treatment of complex arrhythmias
- Access to clinical trials of new drug therapies, surgical procedures, heart devices, and more
- Comprehensive care for inherited cardiovascular diseases, including genetic counseling
- A dedicated program for the treatment and research of lipid disorders
- Specialized care for aortic diseases
- Advanced therapies for venous disease
- Child-focused pediatric heart care
Specialists in Complex Surgery
Our surgeons are pushing the boundaries of nonconventional approaches to cardiac and vascular surgery, offering groundbreaking therapies and clinical trials that give patients better options. Our cardiologists and surgeons specialize in heart and multi-organ transplant, ventricular assist device implants, complex cardiac reconstruction, and minimally invasive heart valve and arrhythmia surgeries. Our expert vascular surgeons treat complex abdominal aortic aneurysms, carotid artery disease, peripheral arterial disease and more. Vascular experts at the University of Chicago Medicine also treat a wide scope of vein conditions, such as venous ulcers, deep vein thrombosis and varicose veins.
A Destination for Robotic and Minimally Invasive Surgery
We're a leading center for robotic and minimally invasive cardiac and vascular surgery, an approach that results in a faster recovery and reduces the risk for complications compared to traditional surgery. University of Chicago cardiac and vascular surgeons regularly perform less invasive treatments for coronary artery disease, heart valve conditions, atrial fibrillation, abdominal aortic aneurysms, carotid artery disease and more.
Premier Research Center
Our doctors not only provide the highest level of care--they’re also leaders in research who are developing new and better treatments for heart and vascular disease. The University of Chicago Medicine campus is home to one of the oldest cardiovascular research programs funded by the National Institutes of Health. Our physician-scientists are involved in numerous studies of promising new treatments. This means our patients have access to the latest therapies not widely available.
How Can We Help You?
- Aortic disease
- Atrial fibrillation
- Cardiac Amyloidosis
- Congenital heart disease in adults
- Coronary artery disease
- Heart failure
- Heart valve disease
- Inherited cardiovascular disease
- Lipid disorders
- Pediatric heart disease
- Pulmonary hypertension
- Vascular disease
- Venous disease