Neurology: Services Offered
The University of Chicago Medicine offers the following services:
The full spectrum of medical, pharmacological, and support therapies aimed at diagnosing, treating, and relieving neurological problems. These range from prescription medicines -- including experimental drugs -- to biofeedback and physical therapy.
A complete range of neurological tests, including:
- Sophisticated neurodiagnostic tests that are not widely available elsewhere, including high-quality electroencephalography (EEG) and single-fiber nerve conduction and electromyography (EMG).
- A state-of-the-art neurophysiology lab that provides long-term video- and EEG-monitoring, as well as 3-D computer-imaging analysis to localize brain sources of epilepsy.
- Long-term computerized monitoring of adults and children with sleep problems and seizures.
- Transcranial Doppler imaging for advanced diagnosis of neurological and vascular problems
- Nerve and muscle biopsies and neuropathological examination.
High-precision surgical planning techniques and tools that enable our surgeons to perform complex brain surgeries without destroying vital brain functions. Advanced treatments include:
- Sophisticated brain-mapping techniques to guide epilepsy surgery. Implantation of electrical stimulators to treat Parkinson's disease and other movement disorders.
- Advanced vascular procedures for stroke prevention.
A dedicated neurointensive critical care unit for the management of patients with stroke, brain infections, and other acute, disabling problems. Our neuro ICU takes on difficult cases beyond the capabilities of routine neurological care, such as:
- Treatment of acute strokes with thrombolytic agents to restore blood flow.
- Coil and balloon embolizations to treat aneurysms that are hard to reach surgically.
Sophisticated radiation therapy technologies for treating brain and spinal tumors, aneurysms, and blood vessel abnormalities while causing minimal damage to healthy tissues. These techniques include:
- Stereotactic radiosurgery
- External beam radiation
- Interstitial brachytherapy, or the implantation of tiny radioactive seeds into brain or spinal tumors.
Genetic testing to identify and better understand brain malformations and diseases.
Neuropsychological evaluations to test intellectual functioning, language skills, motor abilities, and other cognitive and behavioral functions.
- Why Choose Us?
- Services Offered
- ALS & Neuromuscular Diseases Clinic
- Ataxia Center
- Brain Tumor Center
- Epilepsy Center
- Memory Center
- Migraine Headache Clinic
- Multiple Sclerosis Clinic
- Neurofibromatosis Program
- Parkinson's Disease and Movement Disorders Center
- Peripheral Neuropathy Center
- Sleep Disorders Center
- Stroke and Neurovascular Care
- Tuberous Sclerosis Program