The Comprehensive Epilepsy Center at the University of Chicago Medicine is at the forefront of epilepsy care. Many of our patients come to us after trying a number of different medications and therapies with little success. Backed by the development of groundbreaking diagnostic techniques and a long history of research, our expert team has the experience to manage a wide spectrum of seizures and epilepsies -- from new onset seizures to rare and difficult-to-treat epileptic syndromes. Furthermore, with non-invasive technology and contemporary diagnostic techniques, we can pinpoint the origin of most seizures with great precision. Having this advantage can significantly increase diagnostic accuracy and improve patient outcomes.
Why Choose the University of Chicago Medicine?
- We have a multidisciplinary team of experts. Our team includes adult and pediatric specialists who are board-certified in neurology and neurophysiology, neurosurgery, neuropsychology, neuropsychiatry, neuroradiology, and rehabilitation. Our physicians collaborate to provide the most effective, individualized care to each and every one of our patients.
- Our unique, comprehensive approach leads to better results. The specialists at the University of Chicago Medicine Epilepsy Center know epilepsy. We see it, and we treat it every day. Our technology and depth of knowledge help us accurately diagnose epilepsy, which can lead to better treatment plans and better results for our patients.
- We have unique, state-of-the-art technology. We use sophisticated, computer-based functional imaging techniques -- pioneered here at the University of Chicago -- to provide a detailed 3D model of epileptic electrical activity inside the brain. This technology, coupled with our other diagnostic capabilities makes our ability to localize seizure truly exceptional.
- We’re recognized as one of the best. We have two nationally classified Level 4 epilepsy centers -- one for adults and one for children. That is the highest possible classification granted by the National Association of Epilepsy Centers.
- We offer continuous care throughout the patient’s lifespan. Doctors at the adult and pediatric epilepsy centers, combined into one comprehensive epilepsy center program, work together every day to make sure patients receive seamless care when they transition from childhood to adult care.