Second Opinions for Neurological Illnesses, Disorders, and Injuries
We welcome the opportunity to provide a second opinion on your diagnosis or treatment plan. University of Chicago neuro specialists are truly at the forefront of medicine, and can offer options not widely available at most hospitals.
Before You Arrive at Your Appointment
Before your appointment, you will need to gather medical records, reports, and scans. Please work with your physician(s) to collect copies of these files. You will need to sign a release form to obtain the information. We will have access to any tests or reports that were performed at the hospitals of the University of Chicago Medicine.
It is essential that our physicians have this information available at the time of your visit so they can provide the most accurate opinion on your care during your appointment.
- Medical records, including all previous surgical and other procedure reports
- Pathology slides and reports. These are glass slides of tissue that has been biopsied, as well as the written reports by a pathologist. Pathology reports and slides will be returned after our physicians review them.
- Actual films or CDs (DICOM compatible) of scans. These include:
- CT scans
- MRI scans
- PET scans
IMPORTANT: Our schedulers will instruct you on where to send records or if it's best for you to bring these items to your appointment.
Call Us for a Second Opinion
To speed up the appointment process, please gather the following information before you call:
- Your contact information including home address, email address, and phone numbers (home, cell, work)
- Current diagnosis information and information on any treatment you’ve already received
- Your referring physician's information including name, address, and phone number
- Your primary care physician’s information (if it’s different from your referring physician or specialist's information) including name, address, and phone number
- The name, address, and phone number of any specialist you’ve seen (if that specialist is different from either your primary care physician or referring physician)
- Your health insurance information including name on the policy, employer of policy holder, policy number, birth date of policy holder, insurance subscriber ID and your insurance company’s customer service/provider inquiry phone number
- Your Social Security number and date of birth
Then, call us at 1-888-824-0200