Multispecialty Stroke and Neurovascular Care
At the University of Chicago Medicine, we provide the most contemporary, innovative care for the full range of common and complex blood flow problems affecting the brain and spinal cord. Our collaborative, crossdisciplinary approach draws on the talents and internationally recognized expertise of leading clinicians in neurology, neurosurgery, and neurointerventional surgery. Because our team includes pioneering experts in these specialties, we offer a depth and breadth of experience that is unrivaled in the Chicago area. We welcome the opportunity to help people with the most challenging neurovascular problems, because our team provides comprehensive and compassionate care at every level and at every age.
The University of Chicago Medicine is a Joint Commission Certified Stroke Center. Our team treats patients with the following emergent and less urgent neurovascular conditions:
- Stroke and cerebrovascular diseases, including ischemic infarctions, transient ischemic attacks (TIA), subarachnoid hemorrhage (SAH) and intracerebral hemorrhage (ICH)
- Brain (cerebral) aneurysms
- Brain, and spinal cord malformations (AVM)
- Brain and spinal cord dural arteriovenous malformation/fistula (DAVM/DAVF)
- Cerebrovascular cavernous malformations (CCM): Leading clinical and surgical expertise, advanced imaging with special protocols, medical genetics, and NIH-funded research on disease pathogenesis; Referral center designated by the Angioma Alliance
- Narrowing of brain arteries, such as carotid artery stenosis, vertebral artery stenosis, basilar artery stenosis, and middle cerebral artery stenosis
- Dissections of brain arteries such as carotid artery dissection and vertebral artery dissection
- Cerebral venous sinus thrombosis
- Childhood stroke and pediatric neurovascular lesions, including moyamoya syndrome in children and adults
- Pediatric vascular malformations, including vein of Galen malformation (VOGM)
- Stroke in young adults, including pregnant and post-partum women
- Skull base tumors with neurovascular involvement
Interdisciplinary Team, Comprehensive Expertise
Sometimes, there is more than one way to help patients with neurovascular problems. Our patients benefit from having experts in multiple specialties collaborating to customize care, based on each individual's medical problems, history, and life perspective.
Our physician team is led by specialists in:
- Stroke Neurology, offering the most state-of-the-art neurovascular guidance and care by stroke specialists
- Neurocritical Care, offering advanced monitoring and treatment in our state-of-the-art Neurosciences Critical Care Unit (NeuroICU), which is run by a multidisciplinary team of neurocritical care experts
- Neurovascular Surgery, providing expert diagnosis, management and surgical interventions
- Neurointerventional Surgery, performing state-of-the-art imaging and endovascular procedures for diagnosis and treatment
Individualized Care, Streamlined Access: Why Choose Us?
Regardless of which specialist a patient initially sees, each case is reviewed in a physician team meeting, where we integrate the collective perspectives and recommendations of our dedicated specialists. Our physicians meet directly with each patient to explain all treatment options, and to develop an understanding of personal concerns and priorities.
We recognize that some patients are best managed conservatively -- without open surgery or neurointerventional procedures. In these cases, our team is confident providing monitoring and medical management.
From the simplest to the most complicated cases, we take the extra steps needed to determine the most appropriate treatment options for each individual. Whether the patient requires urgent intervention or is considering preventive treatment, we employ our integrated and cooperative process for the diagnosis, treatment and management of neurovascular disorders.
Special Resources for International Patients
At the University of Chicago Medicine, we offer advanced neurovascular care that is not available in some parts of the world. The stroke and neurovascular care team works closely with the Center for International Patients to meet the unique needs of patients traveling from abroad.
Facilitated Access for Urgent Transfers and Consultations
To transfer a patient needing emergency assistance, call the University of Chicago Medicine Transfer Center at 1-855-834-4782. A Transfer Center nurse will promptly connect you with one of our attending physicians.
If you are a physician who would like an urgent consultation with an attending neurovascular specialist, call (773) 702-1000 and ask the operator to contact us directly at pager 6020.
To schedule a consultation for a less urgent neurovascular condition, call us at:
- Stroke Neurology: (773) 834-4604
- Neurovascular Surgery: (773) 702-2123
- Neurointerventional Surgery: (773) 702-5004
If you are not sure with which specialty you need -- do not worry. All members of the stroke and neurovascular team work closely together. We will direct you to the most appropriate specialist(s).