Preparing for Your Appointment
Before Your Appointment
Please check with your insurance company to see if you are covered for services at the University of Chicago. When you come for your appointment, be prepared to pay any deductible and/or co-insurance identified by your insurance plan. If you have any questions about your medical benefits, call Outpatient Services at (773) 702-3384.
Bringing What You Need
It is vitally important that you bring everything necessary to your appointment. The first three items are "musts" for everyone. The remaining items may or may not be necessary, depending on your individual situation:
- Social security number
- Insurance card, including the insurer's name and address, and the patient's policy number
- Photo identification, such as a driver's license or state photo ID
- Cash, check, or major credit card (Visa, MasterCard, or American Express) to pay for services not covered by insurance
- Your employer's name, address, and phone number--if you are covered by traditional insurance or managed care (HMO or PPO) provided by that employer
- Your spouse's employer's name, address, and phone number--if you are covered by traditional insurance or managed care (HMO or PPO) provided by your spouse's employer
- Health Plan Referral Authorization--if required by your health insurance carrier
- Medicare or Medicaid card, plus the date of your spouse's retirement if that applies to you
- Advance Directive (a living will and/or durable power of attorney for healthcare)
- Name, address, and phone number of your referring physician, if you were referred here
- Medical records, X-rays, lab test results, and/or pathology slides--if you are coming here for a second opinion. Your physician may have sent these to us already--be sure to ask your doctor before your visit here.
- All current medications or a list of current medications, how much of each you take, and how often you take it.
How to Get to the University of Chicago Medicine Campus
There are several ways to get to our Hyde Park campus. Please visit our directions page for more specifics.
Where to Go Once You are at Our Campus
Not everyone goes to the same place. Read more about directions to specific buildings on the University of Chicago Medicine campus.
Duchossois Center for Advanced Medicine (DCAM)
The DCAM is located at 5758 S. Maryland Avenue. The main entrance is on 58th Street and Maryland Avenue at the circular driveway. Plan to arrive at least 30 minutes before your appointment to allow time to park and register.
Valet parking is highly recommended. You may leave your car with the attendant on the circle drive in front of the DCAM from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Cars are delivered up to 9 p.m. Please do NOT tip the parking attendant as this is against our policy. A curbside attendant can provide a wheelchair if you need one.
If you choose to self-park, you may do so by entering the garage on Maryland Avenue one-half block north of 59th Street or on 58th Street one-half block east of Cottage Grove Avenue, directly across the street from the main entrance to the DCAM. Self-parking is available 24 hours a day. PLEASE NOTE: Finding a parking space in the garage may prove difficult. Once you have parked, you may walk through the enclosed pedestrian skybridge, which links the "bridge level" floor of the garage with the second floor of the DCAM.
Handicapped parking is available in the self-park garage. These spaces are for use only by visitors and patients with state-issued handicap permits.
If you need directions to your appointment or other information, please stop at the Information Desk just inside the entrance on the first floor or just beyond the bridge on the second floor.
Primary Care Group and Obstetrics and Gynecology
These areas are located on the third floor of the DCAM at 5758 S. Maryland Avenue. For psychiatry, you will need to use the entrance on 5841 S. Maryland Avenue.
Registering at the DCAM
If this is your first visit to the DCAM and you have not been contacted in advance for information, you need to call Outpatient Services at (773) 702-3384 before you come to the DCAM for your appointment. Or, on the day of your visit, stop at Outpatient Services before you go to your clinic appointment.
There are two Outpatient Services locations:
- West of the first floor
- West of the second floor, just beyond the bridge from the parking garage
Representatives will confirm your mailing address and insurance information. They can also help guide you to your appointment.
On return visits, you don't need to stop at Outpatient Services unless your employer, mailing address, or insurance information has changed.
Accepted Insurance Providers
Just as each individual is different, so too are the vast number of healthcare plans. While not exclusive, our list of managed care plans should give you some idea of the wide range of HMOs, PPOs, and other healthcare plans with whom we contract.
If you don't see your plan listed, or if you have any questions about payment, please call us at 1-888-824-0200, email us at email@example.com, or contact your managed care company directly.