What Is a Referral?
A referral is a document from your doctor stating that he or she would like you to have an appointment with a University of Chicago physician.
Some insurance plans and specialties require referrals before an appointment can be made. If a referral is required, you must bring it to your appointment. If you do not have it, we will need to cancel your appointment.
The following plans require a referral:
- Aetna HMO and POS (pediatrics only)
- BC/BS POS (depending on the contract)
- Cigna HMO and POS (pediatrics only)
- One Health Plan HMO and POS
- United Healthcare HMO and POS
If you do not have a referral and the specialty that you selected requires one, UCM Connect will contact you to let you know.
If you have further questions, please contact UCM Connect at 1-888-824-0200.